The Township Form (NJSA 40A:63-1)
The township form is the oldest form of municipal government in New Jersey . The original Township Act of 1798 incorporated 104 townships. Designed to parallel the New England Township meeting, this form was modified continually throughout the 19th century. The Township Act of 1899 abolished the township meeting and replaced it with a township committee with all municipal powers. This act, with a handful of amendments, served until it was repealed by the Township Act of 1989, which cleared up many ambiguities of the previous law.
Under the current township government laws, the township committee remains the backbone of the municipality's government. Voters elect, at-large, the township committee comprising of five members. The elections are partisan and the committee members serve staggered three-year terms. The Township Committee elects the mayor and deputy mayor each January from its members for a one-year term. The Mayor serves as chair of the Township Committee and has the powers vested in the mayor's office by general law.